What's New at KVC
If you have been in the clinic in the last few months you may have met Cooper who has come to live with us since his owner passed away. Cooper is a very handsome 6 year old who is looking for a special new home. He is very loving but unfortunately is not very good with other animals. If you know of anyone who is looking for a cat with a big personality then please get in touch.
Buy a 6 pack of Panoramis or Comfortis and enter online for the chance to win up to $1000.
The Benefits of Pet Ownership
The Flemington Kensington Chruches Association is having a Blessing of the Animals Service on 25th October at 3pm at St George's Travancore, and everyone is welcome to come with their companions.
This is a timely reminder for us of how important pets are in our daily lives.
As vets, we are well aware of the strong bond between owners and their animals, and many clients tell us how important their individual pet has been to them - not just in times of illness or difficulty, but on a daily basis as a major contributor to their happiness.
There has also been some studies done on the measurable benefits of pet ownership and the following is a list of some of the findings:-
1. Mental health - Patting or cuddling our pets raises serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain. These are the "happy drugs" that cause a decrease in anxiety and depression. Teenagers with pets have been also been reported to higher self esteem.
2. Cardiovascular health - As well as the benefits of increased exercise from dog walking, pet owners are reported to have lower blood pressure. Survival time after heart attacks is increased on average if you own a pet, and blood levels of triglyderide and cholesterol (both of which contribute to heart disease) are lowered.
3. Social skills - Pet owners are reported to be more empathic. Pets enhance social connectedness and are great conversation starters - they have even been called "date magnets".
4. Immune system benefits - Children raised with pets are less likely to have asthma and other allergies and have less days off school.
5. Pets and the Elderly - As well as the benefit of companionship, pet ownership is associated with less doctor visits for the elderly.
This is by no means an exhaustive list of all the potential benefits of pet ownership but does reinforce how blessed we are to have them in our lives.
So come and join us for this celebration of our love of our special companions. Look forward to seeing you there.
PET CARE FACTS
We have had some good rainfall this Spring and we are expecting a bad mosquito, flea and tick season again. So it is time to make sure you are doing everything you can against mosquito borne diseases such as heartworm and myxomatosis (in rabbits); as well as getting your flea and tick control in place now.
Combinations spot ons such as Revolution and Advocate protect your dog and cat against both fleas and heartworm, and must be given monthly to maintain heartworm control. When there are large flea numbers in the environment, these products should be applied 3 weekly to get the fleas under control.
Alternatively you can give a spot on product such as Frontline for the fleas, and a tablet or chew such as Heartgard or Interceptor for heartworm prevention.
There are also tablets that can be used monthly for heartworm, fleas and intestinal worms - Sentinel and Panormis.
Remember for every flea you see on your pet there are 10 in the environment, so it is much easier to prevent them than trying to control them once you have an infestation.
Protect your rabbit against mosquitoes with Advantix (off lable use) spot on once a month. Mosquitoes and biting midges carry both myxomatosis the Calici virus; which cause sudden death in rabbits.
Advantix is also used to prevent paralysis ticks from biting your dog, or you can use a Nexgard chew once a month. Paralysis ticks are only a problem along the East Coast of Australia and in some areas of the South East. So if you are taking your pet with you on holidays to these areas then come into the clinic so we can get you started on the right product .
Please feel free to come to the clinic to discuss your parasite control requirements with our friendly staff.